When I stumbled across this amazing recipe at The Spunky Coconut, I couldn’t wait to make it.. espcecially since I had some blueberries that I needed to use up. I used sour cream instead of apple sauce, xylitol instead of honey, and for the crumble topping I used half walnuts and half pecans instead of all walnuts. This is my first time baking with tapioca flour but I am glad that I did because I’ve found that it is a great gluten free substitute for wheat. It does have quite a few carbs, but adding a little bit helps bind the wet and dry ingredients together and adds kind of a chewy texture to the baked product. This is the best gluten free, sugar free treat I have had in a long time! I love the moist cake on the bottom with the with the warm, crunchy topping and the sweet blueberries throughout! MMM… it’s sooo good!
- For the batter:
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup xylitol
- ½ cup grapeseed or canola oil
- ½ cup light sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon NuNaturals NuStevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup sifted coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- For the topping:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- ¼ cup xylitol
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend together the eggs, xylitol, oil, sour cream, NuStevia and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch pie dish; spread evenly with a spatula.
- Add half of the blueberries and press them into the batter.
- Blend together the walnuts, pecans, butter, xylitol and cinnamon in a food processor.
- Add half of the crumb topping to the batter and press down lightly.
- Top with the rest of the crumb topping and the rest of the blueberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Pour the batter into a greased pie dish..
Press half of the blueberries into the batter…
Lightly press half of the crumb topping into the batter..
Then top with the rest of the crumb topping and the blueberries. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Slice and enjoy!